I realise I should be revising right about now, but I can’t be doing revision all the time. Anyway, I’ve been tagged by sulz to do a meme. This is my first time, so I’m hoping it will be gentle…😉
The Expansionist Meme
Please thoughtfully consider the following, and choose one item for each of the categories below. (Be sure to describe your reasons for choosing)
- One religious work from a non-familiar tradition you’ll read:
A tricky question, right off the bat. I don’t actually know much about religious texts, so I’m not totally aware of what texts exist, and which ones I can read without it being deemed sacrilegious. So no promises!
I’m curious about the Sikh sacred text, the Guru Granth Sahib. It sounds a very interesting read. Unfortunately, I gather that in order to fully understand it, it should be read in its original languages, none of which I understand. To be honest, I’m curious about most religious texts.
- One music video–that you like–from your “least likely to listen to’ genre:
I will listen to just about anything, but disco is definitely an example of a genre I don’t seek out actively, so… how about Stayin’ Alive? It’s a pretty cool video.
Although, I can’t help wondering how their voices even go so high pitched!
- A book from a genre you almost never read, that you have read, or you will read (promise!):
I don’t often read detective or mystery fiction, but I have read The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I wasn’t a fan, but my tastes have since broadened considerably, so perhaps it’s time I gave Holmes another chance.
- Somewhere you’d never thought to go on holiday/vacation, and why it might be fun to go there:
Off the top of my head, Rome. I’d never really considered Rome as a holiday destination, but lots of people do go on holiday there, so it must be pretty good. I’d be particularly interested in the historical buildings there.
- A specific food you’ve never tried, but will because of this meme, honest!:
Uh… banana on toast with cinnamon. That sounds nice. In fact, I think I’ll make myself some right here, right now!
- A sport or game you really hate, or haven’t tried yet, but are willing to give one more go:
Fencing. I’ve never tried it, and it’s never really appealed, but I know a number of people who say it’s a lot of fun, so I’ll give it a shot if I get the opportunity.
- A style of dance you probably won’t try (we won’t make you promise on this one):
I’m glad I don’t have to promise, since there’s no telling what I’ll do after consuming a sufficient quantity of alcohol… but, much as I love folk traditions, I think it’s safe to say that I will never do a sword dance. I wouldn’t want to make too much of a fool of myself.
- A career or job you don’t feel you’re suited for, and why:
Mathematician. I’m hopeless at maths!
- An item that’s “thinking out of the box’ for this meme that hadn’t been included:
OK… outside the box, huh? Um… how about:
A movie you are going to watch in a style you don’t normally watch:
I don’t watch monster movies, but I’m planning to watch Cloverfield when I get around to it, because my friends kept talking about how much they enjoyed it. There, that ought to count.
Well, that’s that. I am no longer a meme virgin.
The bloggerdygook Meme
1. What does gobbledygook mean to you?
“Nonsense”, which is pretty much what I’d expect the dictionary to tell me it means. For some reason, though, I always think it could also represent the sound a turkey makes.
2. What do you like about yourself?
I can be quite creative and imaginative at times.
3. What activity do you enjoy doing, that you never thought you would until you tried it?
Using the Internet, funnily enough. I was deeply suspicious of the Internet until I actually went on it. Blogging, in particular, was something I was very apprehensive about until I tried it.
4. What have you learnt about yourself from your previous (and current) romantic relationships?
Only that I’m useless at romatic relationships.
5. What physical traits do you find attractive in the opposite sex?
I was tempted to just write “BOOBS!!!” and move onto the next question, but I have a feeling that would cause my readers to think even less of me than they already do, so I’ll have a go at answering this seriously.
A good sense of humour, and a nice smile. I also like people who are skilled at art or music, because I find that impressive. It’s really difficult to single out which specific traits make a person attractive, though.
6. Do you believe in any superstitions, or have some particular ritual?
I don’t consider myself superstitious, but I try to keep an open mind about people’s spiritual beliefs.
There are a lot of things that I do so often that they could be considered rituals, though. For example, every time I leave the house, I have to go back and check that I locked the door. I think I might just be slightly OCD.🙂
7. What’s the nicest thing you’ve ever done for somebody?
I really can’t think of anything to mention. It’s not that I never do nice things, it’s that I do them out of habit, and I can’t think of any one especially nice thing I’ve done for anyone. It’s a lot easier to remember times when I’ve screwed up and upset someone. This is a really tough question.
To be honest, it’s so difficult I can’t think of an answer. Sometimes I’ve helped people out without being asked, and it’s always felt so rewarding just to see that people are happy.
Let me see… No, it’s no good. I realise this is a total cop-out, but I can’t think of anything that fits. Sorry!
8. If you could something with your blog (cost, time and other factors irrelevant), what would you do?
I’d like to post more often. Somehow, I never seem to find the time to post everything I want to.
I’d also like to maybe put more of my creative writing on here. When I’ve done that before it’s gotten a fairly positive response, so I’m thinking I might post more in future.
9. Books, chocolates, sex. Make a sentence with it.
“Our school books lay forgotten as we sat in the ‘silent study’ area, eating chocolates and loudly discussing sex.”
I was going to make a totally innocent sentence containing the phrase “the opposite sex”, but then I decided that one was too good not to use.
10. If you were dead now, what would people most remember about you?
Geez, way to end on a downer. I expect my close friends and family would remember me as someone who was kind and tried his best to be a good person, while everyone else would remember me, if at all, as some random nerd who really should have looked both ways before stepping out into the street.
And on that morbid note, I conclude my meme answering. Those were very difficult!
I don’t really know who to tag, but I would like it if people decided to do these memes themselves, so if you like them, by all means use them.
In other words, I tag YOU!